[kwlug-disc] older Mac laptops

Ron Singh ronsingh149 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 16:12:34 EDT 2019

So, I have no Apple devices in my collection of laptops and wonder if I am
stupid for considering the following as worthy members of any collection
since these things apparently do well with Debian-based distros.

These 2 models are bloody expensive, even though they are priced for
"computer resellers" only.
I am leaning more towards the cheaper one as that 2nd gen quad-core CPU has
a bigger cache, same TDP, albeit a slower video built-into the CPU.

I know nothing about Macs really, but sometimes, I feel a tug suggesting I
should get one  so that I can feel like I belong to that most rarefied of
coteries, a Mac user(part-time).

I don't need this, and would only use it about once a week, but I want a
used Mac laptop just becuase. I wonder if the sub-$500 2011 model is
worthwhile as in "is this a stupendously low price" for a 2011 15" Macbook
with a regular IPS display, or go for the spendier 2012 unit with the
retina display?

*MacBook Pro Retina 15" Mid 2012 with AC*

* Model A1398 i7 3615QM 2.3ghz 8gig Ram 512gig SSD HD 15" Screen Mojave OS
Loaded *

* $850 *
* 2pcs Grade A Excellent Condition *

*MacBook Pro 15" E2011 with AC*

* Model A1286 i7 2820qm 2.4ghz 8gig Ram 500gig HD 15" Screen High Sierra OS
Loaded *

* $470 1pcs Grade A-  Good Condition *

Thanks,

Ron Singh