[kwlug-disc] Server does not boot after kernel upgrade

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Tue Jan 29 20:03:05 EST 2019

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019, at 16:15, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> # update-initramfs -u -k 4.15.0-44-generic

Looking at the man-page for update-initramfs, it looks like -u updates an existing image. Considering it sounds like your initramfs is not working at all, I'd suggest creating a new initramfs instead.

 # update-initramfs -c -k 4.15.0-44-generic

I'm not sure if you have to manually remove the previous initramfs (or use -d on initramfs?). I don't have an Ubuntu system to test with.

Also, if your system is booting fine via the previous kernel, you should just do this from the running system, skipping the need for a bootable DVD.

--
*Chris Irwin*

email: chris at chrisirwin.ca
 xmpp: chris at chrisirwin.ca