[kwlug-disc] Docker on VPSes

Ronald Barnes ron at ronaldbarnes.ca
Tue Jan 22 10:26:23 EST 2019

Benjamin Tompkins wrote on 2019-01-22 6:55 a.m.:

> To add to this, my understanding of containers of any type is that they
> are best used for ephemeral work loads.

As I understand it, this is correct.

Also use containers when it's imperative that software version x.y is
used, regardless if the OS running the application(s) upgrades to x.z.

> So for instance if you have a large web front end each session that
> connects gets it's own container that is created on demand.  The client
> does their thing and the contain then gets destroyed and goes away.  Any
> and all data is loaded/saved through the container to a backing object
> store/database/however the site is designed.  This helps to greatly
> limit the footprint of the application.

I don't think this is correct (I stand to be corrected though).

Nor do I think that a new container for each session would limit the
footprint; that just doesn't seem to make sense.

> For this case, you would likely break it into to two parts.  First is
> the container that would have the Apache/nginx frontend with Drupal that
> would then connect back to a database that is on (potentially) the
> host.

This I agree with.  And in discussion with Tim, he recommended that the
files / data be stored on the host OS, not inside the container.

>  Second, you would need some sort of load balancer

> So now the question becomes, do you want to manage all of that?

That's where a Docker Swarm shines.  Have various VPSs joined to the
master in a "swarm" which can be increased in anticipation of impending
increases of traffic.

Back to Paul's question - I don't know if using Docker would make your
situation any better or easier, but since it's a cool technology that's
rapidly growing in popularity, I say, "Why not?"

Any corrections welcome.

rb