[kwlug-disc] Docker on VPSes

Benjamin Tompkins bjtompkins at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 09:55:41 EST 2019

To add to this, my understanding of containers of any type is that they are
best used for ephemeral work loads.

So for instance if you have a large web front end each session that
connects gets it's own container that is created on demand.  The client
does their thing and the contain then gets destroyed and goes away.  Any
and all data is loaded/saved through the container to a backing object
store/database/however the site is designed.  This helps to greatly limit
the footprint of the application.  To my understanding this is how the
Gmail interface is run.

For this case, you would likely break it into to two parts.  First is the
container that would have the Apache/nginx frontend with Drupal that would
then connect back to a database that is on (potentially) the host.  Second,
you would need some sort of load balancer/proxy that would make the call
back to the container orchestration to instantiate the container for the
client to connect to.

So now the question becomes, do you want to manage all of that?