[kwlug-disc] New meeting location possibly needed

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Fri Jan 4 16:47:27 EST 2019

Okay. Here is a plan. I am sure it will make nobody happy, but at
least we will have a meeting.

For January, we will meet at St John's Kitchen. I have not been able
to resolve the situation with KWIC, and I do not want to promise
that we can meet there only to be turned away at the last minute. I
have permission from SJK to meet there, and it is close to KWIC so
people who go to the wrong place accidentally will still be able to
get to our meeting.

For February and beyond, we will very likely meet someplace else:

- If KWIC is willing to let us meet for free, we will continue that.

- A few people are looking into other locations. If one of those
  materializes as a good stable location then we can meet there.

- If we do not have a good location for free, then I will book KWIC
  for a year. (I hope the offer of $450 will still hold.) KWLUG
  members have been very generous in their offers, so we can afford it
  for now. If the price jumps significantly then we will have to
  re-evaluate.

I am arbitrarily choosing a deadline of January 20 at noon to make a
decision. If you are looking at a different place then we need to have
solid plans by then. If we do not have a different meeting place lined
up then on the 21st or 22nd I will get us booked at KWIC for a year.

If you are looking into alternative locations then let me know ASAP.
We prefer gratis, but a good place that costs some money may be
possible.

Why not just pay the $450 now? Firstly I have not been able to get a
hold of my contact in time. Secondly I do not want us to lock in for a
year if something else is imminent. Thirdly I am not certain that KWIC
will remain stable for the medium term -- it seems to be under some
flux. Fourthly I am not sure what we do for future years. People have
been very generous now, and a few people have offered multi-year
support. Can we expect sufficient support indefinitely?

Also note that I do not have moral opposition to paying money for a
space, provided that we do not have to get into the hassle of
incorporating, or charging member fees, and provided that the burden
of paying for the space does not end up on the shoulders of one or two
people.

Sorry for all of this drama, and for the long email.

- Paul

http://pnijjar.freeshell.org