[kwlug-disc] New meeting location possibly needed

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Fri Jan 4 11:49:18 EST 2019

On Thu, Jan 3, 2019 at 11:05 PM William Park via kwlug-disc <
kwlug-disc at kwlug.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 02, 2019 at 05:11:15PM -0500, Paul Nijjar via kwlug-disc wrote:
> > At this point, they would like $75 per three-hour meeting slot, or
> > $450 for 12 months.
>
> I'll chip in $100 toward KWLUG cost.
>
> For a long-term solution, how about getting together with other groups
> (like, Postgres, Drupal, Perl, Wiki something) and submitting "group
> application" to University of Waterloo?  It might get better result than
> just KWLUG applying for location.

UW may provide the rooms, but parking is an issue. When the KW Unix group
met there,
many of them worked at RIM (now Blackberry), and RIM had offices on
Columbia and
allowed us to park there. After Blackberry leaving the building, there was
no parking,
and tickets were issued.

So, I don't think that UW is a suitable location.

Among the options Paul mentioned, Queen St seem the most promising. Either
the
main location or across the street, in the upstairs room with a projector
which the
Drupal group uses, thanks to Charles.

The latter will be tight if attendance is on the high side, but maybe
moving the
speaker forward and having more chairs will solve this.

Worth a shot.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin