[kwlug-disc] SSD Failure Symptoms and Recovering Data?

William Park opengeometry at yahoo.ca
Thu Nov 8 11:09:12 EST 2018

I have 512GB Samsung 850 EVO at home and 1TB Crucial at work.  Samsung is better.  When you copy from HD to SSD, Samsung will give you high throughput rate for the entire duration of transfer, whereas Crucial will slow down after a while.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 11:25 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin<kb at 2bits.com> wrote:   So, the excepted happened and a laptop with an SSD failed.

The laptop itself is OK, despite its age, but the SSD (added in the past few years), failed.First, it was a SMART error like this:
Device: /dev/sda [SAT], 1 Offline uncorrectable sectors

Device info:
HP SSD S700 120GB, S/N:xxxx, FW:Q0330B1, 120 GB
Then it was 3 sectors, and yesterday it was 33 sectors.
I started copying the data off of the SSD to an external USB disk. It is working, but it is very slow.
The shell command is slow when I press tab for command completion. Most commands time out (systemd reports several timeouts). The disk is mounted read only.
The copying is now a day and a half for a only a few tens of GB. The target disk flickers once every minute or so.

Why is this copying too slow?
Another question is what replacement SSD should I get. Ron Singh posted a while back about Samsung EVO 860, which are still on sale at Canada Computers and BestBuy (ends tomorrow), e.g.
https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=179_1229_1088&item_id=120021
Are these still a good value? Or are there alternatives?
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.