[kwlug-disc] SSD Failure Symptoms and Recovering Data?

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 10:44:40 EST 2018

Lori, is right: SSD and NVMe prices are really good right now.  And Black
Friday is just around the corner so keep an eye out for sales.

I'm a big fan of M.2 drives right on the motherboard.  My main desktop has
two slots, currently occupied by a Crucial 1TB M.2 and the other a Crucial
512GB M.2.  My Intel NUC has a 500GB nvme drive.  And much to my surprise,
my (maybe) six years old Lenovo laptop came with a 16GB M.2 which, at the
time when I bought it I thought it was a soldered-on chip so I never
bothered with it.  When I recently found out that it was an M.2 I
immediately swapped it out for a 500GB Samsung SSD 860.  The laptop is
running way faster now on the SSD instead of the 5400rpm HDD.

The M.2's are so much easier to work with (hardware-wise) as you don't have
to muck around with cables or power supplies or docking bays or whatever.
You just need one tiny screw.  Word of advice, though, the M.2's are often
mounted at a bit of an angle, which gives them a bit of a spring effect, so
be sure to hold it down with your thumb before you loosen the screw or you
will get to spend the next four hours on your hands and knees looking for
said screw...  Trust me, I know!

Sorry, Khalid, if my rant on M.2 doesn't help you with your older laptop,
but it's definitely something to keep in mind when you're ready to buy a
new one.