[kwlug-disc] EFail: S/MIME & GPG

Mikalai Birukou mb at 3nsoft.com
Mon May 14 11:13:57 EDT 2018

Random thoughts about efail.

1) Verbatim quote: "In  its  simplest  form,  an  email  is  a text
message  conforming to the Internet Message Format (IMF) [26].  As the
IMF lacks features that are required in the modern Internet,  such  as
the  transmission  of  binary  data ..."

Highlight "lacks features that are required in the modern Internet".

2) We have a mix of parsing contexts here: img tag with direct
replacement of base64-encoded cyphertext with a plain text.

3) Use of malleable encryption, especially in historical context. Quote:
" Malleability of these two encryption modes is well-known and has been
exploited in many attacks on network protocols like TLS, IPsec, or SSH
[14–25], but it has not been exploited in plaintext-recovery attacks on
email standards."

Reminds me Corry Doctorow's words at PI talk. Something like a rate of
independent bug rediscovery is 20% a year. APTs, anyone?

Nonetheless, cheer up.