[kwlug-disc] Store local config for development github pages

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sun Jul 15 16:06:11 EDT 2018

I run into this problem every time I try to have a development version
of a website, and I still don't know a painless way to resolve it.

There is a website published with Github pages here:
http://waterlooregionvotes.org

The Github source is here: https://github.com/CivicTechWR/WRvotes

I was editing this website directly on that project page but it was
irritating others when the page failed to build. So I forked the site
here:

https://github.com/pnijjar/WRvotes

and made the site live here:

https://pnijjar.github.io/WRvotes

Naturally, a bunch of things are broken, because of configuration
problems:

- There is a CNAME file that should not be duplicated
- Maybe there are config files that need to be different between the
  two sites.

I want to have a version of the configuration files on my development
site (which is NOT a local site on my laptop -- I am trying to use
GH-pages as the development environment) and a separate set of
configuration files on the CivicTechWR site. When I pull from my
pnijjar.github.io site to CivicTechWR, I want to avoid pulling the
development version of the config files.

I don't know how to do this cleanly. How do I do this cleanly?

Do I make a branch with local config files? Fine. Then how do I
prevent these files from accidentally clobbering the real site?

Do I do something else?

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org