[kwlug-disc] Recommendations on ethernet cable tool sets, kits?

R. Brent Clements rbclemen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 11:08:46 EST 2018

My understanding is the blades that make contact in the keystone jack are
designed to cut into solid-core wires.  if your cable has a braided core it
can simply slice some of the individual copper conductors and you end up
with an unstable connection.

I made a lot of cables back in the day (i.e 10-15 years ago) when the cost
of ready-made cables was not as cheap as they are now.  You may still need
to remove and replace the end of a cable if you want to feed it through a
small hole.  I know the tolerances of devices are pretty good, but I would
be hesitant about patching together 3 or 4 segments with RJ45 connectors
when a single line can be run end-to-end with just a bit of work.

Brent