[kwlug-disc] Recommendations on ethernet cable tool sets, kits?

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Mon Jan 29 01:46:48 EST 2018

But a tester that measures impedance and electrical characteristics
other than continuity (crosstalk, bandwidth capacity) will cost
thousands of dollars. The best compromise I've seen is a cable tester
that does the continuity checks (shorts, opens, splits, reverses) and
also measures reflectivity, ie. how long the cable is. That's handy
for finding breaks...

- --Bob.

On 2018-01-29 01:16 AM, John Johnson wrote:
> In another response re: cable crimp and testing, I mentioned the
> possibility of degraded performance with a poor crimp. One cause of
> degraded performance is impedance mismatch. This fault would be in
> addition to the list provided by Bob below: "continuity,
> mis-matched pairs, split pairs, and something labelled miswire".
>
> JohnJ
>

> On 1/29/2018 00:19, Bob Jonkman wrote: I bought a tester+remote at
> Home Depot a few years ago for about $20. It checks continuity,
> mis-matched pairs, split pairs, and something labelled "miswire".
>
> Looks like it's a lot more expensive now ($62):
>
> https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-LinkMaster-UTP-STP-Wiremapper-and-Tester-62-200/100091453
>

> If you're doing building wiring you may also want to get a tone
> generator and cable tracer:
>
> https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-TRACETone-Cable-Wire-Tester-and-Locator-62-140/100598687
>

> (also more expensive than I remember)
>
> --Bob.

All network kits should be safe to use.  Just disconnect any POE