[kwlug-disc] Recommendations on ethernet cable tool sets, kits?

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Mon Jan 29 00:19:03 EST 2018

I bought a tester+remote at Home Depot a few years ago for about $20.
It checks continuity, mis-matched pairs, split pairs, and something
labelled "miswire".

Looks like it's a lot more expensive now ($62):

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-LinkMaster-UTP-STP-Wiremapper-and-Tester-62-200/100091453

If you're doing building wiring you may also want to get a tone
generator and cable tracer:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-TRACETone-Cable-Wire-Tester-and-Locator-62-140/100598687

(also more expensive than I remember)

- --Bob.