[kwlug-disc] Carrytel.ca -- 70M/10M for $35/month

jvj at golden.net jvj at golden.net
Sun Jan 21 23:01:40 EST 2018

 On Sun, 21 Jan 2018 20:53:47 -0500, William Park via kwlug-disc
 <kwlug-disc at kwlug.org> wrote:
> Today, I switched to Carrytel Cable75 (75M/10M, unlimited,
> $35/month).
> That's $25 cheaper than Teksavvy's equivalent.  So far, it performs
> as
> promised.

 I am not familiar with Carrytel.
 But my guess is that it is a CLEC - Competitive Local Exchange Carrier.
 See: http://crtc.gc.ca/eng/comm/telecom/eslcclec.htm

 For DSL ...
 (And AFAIK -- pass the salt)

 Some CLECs have their own communications infrastructure.
 Some CLECs lease capacity on existing communications infrastructure and
 resell this capacity to their customers.
 The "last mile" of the communications infrastructure refers to the
 physical circuits between the local exchange and the residence or
 business.
 The "last mile" is part of the existing infrastructure that is leased.

 At the local exchange, circuits of CLEC customers may be connected to
 equipment owned and maintained by the CLEC. This equipment may then be
 to connected to physical trunking equipment also owned and maintained by
 the CLEC.

 Or the CLEC customers may just be users of the existing LEC equipment.

 Unless CLECs uses their own equipment and trunking facilities,
 performance is likely the same.

 The CLEC business model involves the sale or resale of communications
 capacity.

 For Cable ...

 I dunno. Cable is not in my wheelhouse.

 JohnJ