[kwlug-disc] Linux & Linux admin for newbies

jvj at golden.net jvj at golden.net
Sat Jan 20 11:10:24 EST 2018

Going OT with the ancient IBM stuff.
I skimmed past the S/38 and As/400
and know very little about those machines.
AFAIK The VM capability would
let system developers define target systems somewhat different than the
system used for development.

As a student (circa 1972) I ran Fortran
card deck assignments and personal APL stuff on the 360 aka 360
sickly.
A grad student created an APL system function that would read a
text matrix as a text file containing a card deck.
When I used this APL
function to run Fortran assignments I noted that my jobs would bump
above other jobs submitted by people who had been standing in line for
the card deck reader.
APL - as an interactive subsystem on the 360 - had
a higher system priority than other jobs, e.g. compiler, assembler,
etc.
My lowly Fortran jobs, submitted through APL, inherited the APL
priority.

JohnJ

-------------------------
SUBJECT: Re: [kwlug-disc]
Linux & Linux admin for newbies
DATE: Sat, 20 Jan 2018 15:25:19
+0000
FROM: CrankyOldBugger
TO: KWLUG discussion
REPLY-TO: KWLUG
discussion

@JohnJ... I remember those IBM emulator/VM programs. I had
one when I was managing a S/38 and later an AS/400. I seem to recall
that the PC program had a really generic name like "PCTools", but I
don't recall exactly. Would you remember?

On Sat, 20 Jan 2018 at 01:59
Paul Nijjar via kwlug-disc  wrote: (I thought I sent this already, but I
guess not. Apologies if it is a
 duplicate.)

 That is a generous
offer.

 There may be a call for people to help KWLUG financially if we
cannot
 get a free meeting space for our new home.

 There are also
other items that I have been thinking about
 fundraising for. It would
be nice to get a better projector, for
 example.

 But none of this
directly relates to your offer. I think that if you
 as an individual
was to arrange for some KWLUG speakers then that
 could work, but it
would be you who makes the financial arrangements
 (because as Chamunks
noted KWLUG does not officially exist).
 Once you have somebody arranged
I (or another organizer) can slot that
 presenter in.

 Keep in mind
that in addition to finding people who know how to do
 Linux
administration, we would want to bring in people who also have
 skills
at doing presentations for others. Robert Elder might qualify
 for this,
but I think arbitrary people on UpWork would need more
 vetting.

Having said that, I think there are MANY people on this list who have

the knowledge and talent to offer some really good newbie training,

either during meetings or as a separate event. I would love to see a

few more offers from people willing to present Linux basics.

 I agree
that getting newbies out to meetings is a challenge. Sometimes
 people
come for a few sessions, and then leave because the talks
 people are
willing to offer are at too high a technical level (or
 maybe we are
unfriendly in other ways).

 John got us started on a list of topics,
but it is not clear to me
 which ones are in demand, or are most useful
in 2018.

 I am guessing these will be incorporated into regular KWLUG
meetings,
 as opposed to being separate events?

 - Paul

 On Thu, Jan
18, 2018 at 11:14:00AM -0500, Ron Singh wrote:
 > Here's my 2 cents, not
sure how it will be received.

 > See, I value what I have gained thus
from the KWLUG meets I have attended,
 > the topics discussed on the
mailing list, and tangentially, the information
 > gleaned from a
single(so far) KWVoip meetup.

 > In the spirit of giving back, I am
able to pony up to $50 per
 > session(month?) to someone from outside of
KWLUG, or $400/yr to KWLUG
 > towards expenses(essentially a
sponsorship). I can also support KWLUG via
 > donations of older(but not
*old*) computer hardware as it becomes available
 > to me.
 >
 > If the
$50/session thing does not contradict the spirit of KWLUG, I would

like to make contact with a few individuals here --

https://www.upwork.com/local/canada/ontario/waterloo/linux-system-administration/
[2]
 > and see if they would be amenable to doing a 60-minute segment
for newbies
 > and live with a mere $50(or less) fee for the talk and
travel time.

 > I see a couple of UPWORK low-cost younglings here and
here:
 > https://www.upwork.com/o/profiles/users/_~01be403b78b96c7860/
[3]
 > https://www.upwork.com/o/profiles/users/_~01ae67e5ea9c1e9763/
[4]

 > and a more seasoned UPWORK dude here:

https://www.upwork.com/o/profiles/users/_~015d41ca163d109259/ [5]

How about Robert Elder?

http://blog.robertelder.org/robert-elder-software-linux-operating-system/
[6]
 > He is quite the CLI guy.
 > I attended one of his meetings on
SSH where I got about 30% of the ideas
 > and logic being discussed.
Should I contact him on behald of KWLUG to see
 > if he is willing to do
a talk on CLI commands. He is definitely not a GUI
 > guy.

Alternatively, I donate a year's worth of sessions to KWLUG and
everyone
 > chimes in with suggestions/contact they have to do talks for
newbies.
 > I see one big challenge though and that is how to grab all
the newbies by
 > the scruff and drag them into the KWLUG meetings to
benefir from the newbie
 > sessions.
 >
 > I am just throwing this out
there.