[kwlug-disc] Linux & Linux admin for newbies

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Fri Jan 19 16:25:04 EST 2018

I think this is why Virtual Machines were invented!

Whenever I do a demonstration of an installation, I use VirtualBox.
This lets me set up a base environment, create a snapshot, practice
the installation, then return to the snapshot to do it over again.

A bare metal install for an OS will provide lasting results -- you can
take home the laptop with a shiny new OS on it. But a bare metal
install doesn't really offer any advantages over a VM for a
demonstration that's primarily concerned with procedure or technique.

OTOH, it always nice to work on a Thinkpad...

- --Bob.

On 2018-01-19 03:57 PM, Ron Singh wrote:
> Yup, I will be at the Feb meet.
>
> I think it might be wise to get the X220 to you before the meeting
> so that you can do a dry run of the install and make sure all is
> good before doing the live install at KWLUG's Feb meet? I am in
> Waterloo and can meet up wherever to hand off the laptop.
>
> I wonder, since most folks really interact with a PC's desktop
> environment and browsers, would it be prudent to mebbe stuff a 500G
> HDD in the laptop so that you could have multiple installs of
> Linux, simply for a presenter to showcase the pros/cons of various
> desktop environments?
>
> I cannot justify(afford) storage any greater than a 128G SSD or a
> 500G 7200RPM WD Black HDD, and I think a 128G SSD might be tight if
> one wanted around 4 installs to show off Xfce, Mate, Cinnamon,
> Gnome3, or LXDE etc.
>
> Rambling on a bit further, I wonder if I should not just leave the
> X220 without whoever will be doing any sort of presenting and who
> might be reluctant to mess with their own hardware, perhaps that
> person would benefit from a beater laptop?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Ron Singh "in transit, via mobile comm device"
>
> On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 12:24 PM, James Kelsh
> <freshmeadow1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thank you Ron, it will help! That way I font have to overwrite my
>> existing Ubuntu installation!!!!! Will you be at the February
>> meeting? We can talk there.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Jan 19, 2018, at 11:59 AM, Ron Singh <ronsingh149 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Jim, I can lend an X220 laptop with 8G and an SSD(to reduce
>> install time and make the presentation go a bit faster) for the
>> bare-metal install if this help in anyway.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ron Singh "in transit, via mobile comm device"
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 8:14 AM, James Kelsh
>> <freshmeadow1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I would be happy to do it in March. I am thinking to include
>>> installation on bare metal from a dvd, USB stick, and maybe
>>> dual booting and installing from an iso in a VM too. Let's talk
>>> further at the February meeting. Jim
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

>>> Conestoga College and depending on what school you are in it
>>> takes over your life. Anyway, the beginner sessions sound like
>>> a great idea! I know I could still benefit as I do not work
>>> with Linux but have been using it for some time.
>>> laptop.
>>> converting an OEM installation of Windows 7 into a virtual
>>> machine using disk2vhd and running it under Ubuntu.

>>> portion and a deep dive portion of the KWLUG rather then just
>>> exclusively the 2 hour format where its all heavy from start to
>>> finish we try to have a beginner section from 7 where we cover
>>> some light stuff and then go into a deep dive in the second
>>> half.  This way we can bring more rookies into the fold.

>>> has

He also has some Linux how to material on his own website: