[kwlug-disc] Linux & Linux admin for newbies

Chamunks chamunks at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 12:09:59 EST 2018

It's not so much about a contradiction but I've found that the
administration at KWLUG is fairly averse to having to manage an org just to
handle finances.  As far as the government and financial industry are
concerned KWLUG doesn't exist, as soon as you get them involved it costs
money and paperwork.  We used to take donations for other projects the
FLOSS fund was a can we used to take donations for in the beginning and the
money would be donated to the FLOSS fund nomination of the month.

Advertising-wise, as far as I'm aware we go on 100% word of mouth.  If
people want to see more people coming why not drop off a flyer or two or
something around your daily routine.  I know that I frequently am working
on dragging friends, associates, and family out.  Maybe we could try and
dip into some of our more marketing focused individuals in the group and
see if we can't come up with a media packet which would be available on the
KWLUG.org site.  I wouldn't mind bringing a couple of cards along with me
on the off chance I run into someone genuinely interested.

For the most part, we don't really have a real shortage of people who would
do the talks for free its just generally knowing what people would want to
learn at the meetings.  I know that I keep saying that I'd do a talk from
time to time but I wouldn't be averse to doing one here or there for me its
just reliably getting to the meetings.