[kwlug-disc] Linux & Linux admin for newbies

Ron Singh ronsingh149 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 11:14:00 EST 2018

Here's my 2 cents, not sure how it will be received.

See, I value what I have gained thus from the KWLUG meets I have attended,
the topics discussed on the mailing list, and tangentially, the information
gleaned from a single(so far) KWVoip meetup.

In the spirit of giving back, I am able to pony up to $50 per
session(month?) to someone from outside of KWLUG, or $400/yr to KWLUG
towards expenses(essentially a sponsorship). I can also support KWLUG via
donations of older(but not *old*) computer hardware as it becomes available
to me.

If the $50/session thing does not contradict the spirit of KWLUG, I would
like to make contact with a few individuals here --
https://www.upwork.com/local/canada/ontario/waterloo/linux-system-administration/
and see if they would be amenable to doing a 60-minute segment for newbies
and live with a mere $50(or less) fee for the talk and travel time.

I see a couple of UPWORK low-cost younglings here and here:
https://www.upwork.com/o/profiles/users/_~01be403b78b96c7860/
https://www.upwork.com/o/profiles/users/_~01ae67e5ea9c1e9763/

and a more seasoned UPWORK dude here:
https://www.upwork.com/o/profiles/users/_~015d41ca163d109259/

How about Robert Elder?
http://blog.robertelder.org/robert-elder-software-linux-operating-system/
He is quite the CLI guy.
I attended one of his meetings on SSH where I got about 30% of the ideas
and logic being discussed. Should I contact him on behald of KWLUG to see
if he is willing to do a talk on CLI commands. He is definitely not a GUI
guy.

Alternatively, I donate a year's worth of sessions to KWLUG and everyone
chimes in with suggestions/contact they have to do talks for newbies.
I see one big challenge though and that is how to grab all the newbies by
the scruff and drag them into the KWLUG meetings to benefir from the newbie
sessions.

I am just throwing this out there.

Thanks,

Ron Singh