[kwlug-disc] More wi-fi adventures

Charles M chaslinux at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 23:16:46 EDT 2018

So we've run into a few issues with 18.04 (Xubuntu). In computer
recycling we were running into trouble connecting to some local
servers. What Kirk discovered is that /etc/resolv.conf sim-links to a
a file that doesn't really work. See this thread:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/973017/wrong-nameserver-set-by-resolvconf-and-networkmanager?rq=1

Also for you KODI folk, don't upgrade yet, LIRC is also broken. You
can kind of fix it by going back to an old lirc.

This worked for me:
https://twosortoftechguys.wordpress.com/2018/07/24/make-lirc-work-in-ubuntu-18-04/
On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 2:32 PM CrankyOldBugger
<crankyoldbugger at gmail.com> wrote:

> If some of you recall, I was unable to get the wi-fi working on my laptop after installing Ubuntu 18.04.  It works fine with any Fedora derivative distro, however.  Well, after 18.04.01 came out I thought I'd try my luck again but still no-go.  I can not connect to my home network via wi-fi (ethernet cable works fine, btw).  This is tested using a Live CD as well as the actual install process.  I think the wireless card is an Intel n-2230 (but I'm not at home right now so I can't confirm that).  Ubuntu sees the NIC, and installs the drivers, etc., but it just won't connect.  It sees several SSIDs so that much of it is working.  It keeps asking me for the wifi password over and over when I try to connect.  I've tried both my personal and guest wi-fi, and I even lowered the security on the router a little bit to see if that helps.  No change...
>
> So for fun I install Solus OS and it connects fine, but for some reason it won't come back from hibernating cleanly so that's it for that distro..
>
> I'm going to try some other distros just to see what I end up with but I wanted to vent a little bit in here...  This isn't my main machine so I can afford to experiment, but it is getting a little frustrating now...

Charles McColm
Blog: http://www.charlesmccolm.com/
Twitter/Identica/Google+: @chaslinux