[kwlug-disc] OT: Experience with Chatr wireless?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Aug 21 12:29:16 EDT 2018

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 11:12 AM, Charles M <chaslinux at gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have experience with Chatr wireless? We've been having
> issues with Freedom mobile lately and are looking at switching 3
> phones off, but don't want to be tied to a contract (we have 3
> unlocked phones).
>
> Our current plans with Freedom are unlimited Canada/US talk, text and
> data. We could do without the data, but talk + text are important. We
> looked at the family plans for Rogers/Telus but they seem a bit high
> for what we need.
>
> Coverage for Chatr is obviously a concern. They don't seem to be
> better than Freedom from what I can see, but reviews of the local
> chatr seem for the most part positive.

Chatr is Rogers, so the network coverage should be great, same as Rogers
proper.

They have a great plan for $45 unlimited calls and texts and includes 4GB
of data + 1GB as a bonus.

But, they differentiate between in-zone, and not in zone, for data.

https://www.chatrwireless.com/web/content/coverage

So you don't get data west of London, or north of here, as a friend found
out a few weeks ago, after switching to Chatr.

Luckily, they are month to month, so my friend will switch to Koodoo, who
have data coverage out of 'zone'.