[kwlug-disc] Meeting Monday: A User Journey; VoIP Security (April 2018)

Mikalai Birukou mb at 3nsoft.com
Wed Apr 11 13:05:50 EDT 2018

There is a Russian proverb: "Слово не воробей, вылетит -- не словишь.",
with direct translation: "Speech is like a bird, once released to fly,
can't be caught back."

In general, corporations' trackbacking of words, via asking everyone to
be silent, reminds me Soviet times. I think Chinese, Cuban and folks
from lawless places sense the same smell. You see, hats, titles, names
can be different, but behavior, and subsequent damage has the same shape.

Let's go into particulars.

If there was a concern about trade secrets, in this area under Common
Law (to where you, or your parents and ancestors migrated, as a better
place) already has that trade secrets are lost when spoken, and if there
was no NDA signed beforehand, listener is not bound by obligations to be
silent. Listener may have a tape as an enhancement of one's memory, if,
of cause, speaker said ok to be taped beforehand. Word "beforehand" is
important here, tying it to the proverb.

All other forms of IP are open source (patents, trademarks, even
copyright). You can view it, but can't use it yourself. Hence, there is
nothing to hide here. By the way, I think copyright of the recording
belongs to the one who did the copy, but lawyer can be consulted.

If the trackback asks to withheld information about common elements used
by public, and if there are privacy/security/safety concerns raised,
withholding such information is similar to withholding a medicine in a
midst of epidemic outbreak.

We should treat issues with tech the way we treat health issues. After
all, this newly grown nervous system of our society is an organism. In
such situations, if we put some little feudal lord's interests above
those of public, we turn this nice land into Soviet, or Chinese, or
Cuban land. For those thinking that its ok to do so, I humbly recommend
considering migrating the land of ancestors and denouncing US/Canadian
citizenship, to ensure that there is no way back. This consideration
alone may change your mind about societal tech health issues.

I rest my case.

Cheers,

Mikalai