[kwlug-disc] I miss KWLUG so badly!

William Park opengeometry at yahoo.ca
Sun Nov 26 17:35:57 EST 2017

On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 04:25:11PM -0500, Andrew Sullivan Cant wrote:
> Hi Ron,
>
> >> I've been kicking around the idea to fork VanLUG for months - just
> >> as a bit of mental exercise.
> >
> > Unlike others on this thread I am going to put a note of caution
> > against this. Starting your own group involves:
>
> I am going to second Paul on this. Forking in the real world or a
> project always feels like it should be the final option.

Sorry to be late comer...  I'll third Paul's.

I was moderator of "west TLUG" group which died long ago, mainly due to
logistic.  We were meeting at a bar.  Barrie LUG died recently due to
the same cause.  There are 4 active LUGs in Southern Ontario that I'm
familiar with, and they are still active only because of meeting place.
    - Kitchner-Waterloo,
    - Toronto (Ryerson computer science lab),
    - Peterborough (retirement home).
    - Owen Sound (united church),

That said, LUG in general are declining, simply because they provide
less and less value to members.  You can download and install Linux
yourself, ask questions online, etc.  All these things, you can do
without LUG.  I think people meet at LUG for social reason, or to talk
about something that cannot be done over email.  I go to GTALUG to drink
beer.  And, you can't do that over email.

If Vancouver has a venue, then it may be worthwhile to work within the
group.  It's difficult.  I know.  I've tried to elicit interest from
GTALUG members about "tutorial series".  I don't mean just talking about
it with powerpoint slides.  I mean, hands-on practical tutorial, so that
it makes sense when you actually read the doc or manpage later.  But, it
seems that everyone knows everything.
--
William Park <opengeometry at yahoo.ca>