[kwlug-disc] Fedora 27 video issues

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 21:48:10 EST 2017

While the Subject line says "Fedora 27" I'm sure other people have seen
this sort of thing in other versions and distros, but..  I recently
upgraded the desktop I use for Kodi to Fedora 27 (I'm not convinced that
Ubuntu 17.10 is ready for Prime Time so I jumped over to Fedora).

Problem that I was having was that video playback in Kodi and VLC was
choppy.  Like there was a lot of very small buffering sessions going on.
Audio seemed ok, but video was giving me (literal) headaches.

Turns out it was the Nouveau driver (as it often does).. I needed to
install the Nvidea drivers instead.  So I did as much by following the
instructions found here:
https://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2015/fedora-nvidia-guide/

This fixed the video stuttering issue.