[kwlug-disc] Firefox 57?

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Sat Nov 18 20:06:20 EST 2017

On Sat, Nov 18, 2017 at 10:30:11AM -0500, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
>Anyone upgraded to Firefox 57 on a Linux desktop?

Yes. I've been running F57 betas for a few weeks via updates-testing on Fedora.
It certainly seems quicker. I'm primarily a firefox user, not converting from
another browser.

>Some of the crucial extensions I use are still not ported to this
>version (mainly NoScript, and Auto Unload Tab).

I wasn't a noscript user, but was using ųMatrix when I upgraded. It worked
fine, but exposed a level of granularity I ultimately didn't want to much about
with (unrelated to FF57).  I've since turned on "advanced" mode in ųBlock
Origin, and blocked third-party scripts by default. I can now have now control
what sites get to load external resources from where (but at a less-granular
level than ųMatrix).

>If you upgraded, what are your impressions?
>I know the User Interface is totally different.

I think this is a Fedora patch, and not upstream, but FF57 supports a quasi-csd
mode that blends in fairly well in GNOME.

>What else?

Apparently this is still the first steps in moving a lot of the benefits of
their rust-ified research projects into mainline firefox.

--
Chris Irwin

email:   chris at chrisirwin.ca
 xmpp:   chris at chrisirwin.ca