[kwlug-disc] Firefox 57?

Ronald Barnes ron at ronaldbarnes.ca
Sat Nov 18 19:16:23 EST 2017

Khalid Baheyeldin wrote on 2017-11-18 07:30 AM:

> Anyone upgraded to Firefox 57 on a Linux desktop?

I did so yesterday.

> Some of the crucial extensions I use are still not ported to this
> version (mainly NoScript, and Auto Unload Tab).
>
> If you upgraded, what are your impressions?

I'm liking it.

One weird thing: hovering over a link no longer showed the target URL in
the "status bar" area, at bottom of window.

I was pretty livid, and installed "Link Status Redux" to bring back that
functionality, plus some.

Then... I started to notice the target displaying upon hover, just like
before.  Disabled Link Status Redux and it still shows, just like always.

Not sure what was going on there and would be interested in others'
experience.

> I know the User Interface is totally different.

It's somewhat different, but possibly better - undecided at this point.

Same with how I felt about the tabs above address bar - felt disruptive
but in retrospect, makes sense and I like it.

> What else?

The "Library" which gives access to History, Bookmarks, Downloads, etc.
is probably a good feature.

I've been using uBlock Origin for a while and ditched Request Policy.
I'm finding that, without NoScript, the web is working just fine, and
is, in fact, a bit nicer.

I'll definitely consider re-installing it when it's ready for FF57 but
I'm not missing it, to my surprise.

I'm not keen on the square-cornered tabs, but I seem to recall not being
happy with the rounded ones when they came out.

When looking for add-ons like NoScript (Get Add-ons), there were some
themes in the list, and hovering over one gave a very nice live preview
- I liked that even though I am not looking to re-theme.

All in all, I'd recommend FF57, but backing up the profile(s) first is
never a bad idea.

r b