[kwlug-disc] OT: Online TV services?

Charles M chaslinux at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 09:19:17 EDT 2017

Mark this is why we eventually started using XBMC/KODI. When Rogers
announced it was going digital we decided to re-evaluate TV. What we
found was that we mostly PVR'd movies (MythDora = Fedora + MythTV).
Normally we were too busy to watch them when they were on. We loved
MythTV because we could record up to 14 days of content and it had/has
a lot of great rule sets for conflict resolution: e.g. record movie X,
but record it later if a show/movie with a higher priority conflicts
with the time. Digital seemed like it meant new equipment and new
hoops to jump through. At the same time DVDs had dropped in price and
Blu-ray was starting to become more popular.

MythTV is a great PVR, but not so great at organizing ripped media, enter XBMC.

There was a time when KODI add-ons were less frowned on/more legit
(and as you pointed out there are a lot of legitimate add-ons, over
1000). Remember the Boxee Box? Boxee forked XBMC/KODI. There was a
time when you could run Boxee on a PC as you would KODI. Several
companies released Boxee boxes (D-Link was one of the more popular).
Then Samsung bought out the company that had forked Boxee and AFAIK
it's been an abandoned project now for about 6 years.

Our setup now is:

KODI server in the living room (Core 2 Quad PC with 4GB RAM, an 8TB
HDD, 1GB fanless GeForce 210 card w/ HDMI, Xubuntu modified to boot up
to KODI, LIRC, SAMBA, openSSH). We use an old HP media center remote
and receiver to navigate the KODI menus. The remote was a snap to set
up, you just install lirc and choose Windows Media Center remotes and
it works pretty much perfectly with KODI. Our SAMBA shares are read
only. To put media on the server I use ssh/filezilla from my desktop
PC in another room where I do all the ripping of our media.

Attached to another TV is a Zotac box, I think the model is ID81. I
found it pretty darn slow, even with Xubuntu, so I threw in an SSD and
performance was a bit better. This is actually the second Zotac box I
tried and both were a bit sluggish. It works. I bought one of those
miniature keyboards that look a bit like a gamepad with a touchpad.
KW/Cambridge surplus sells them for $29, but there's a store on
Victoria (that also happens to sell KODI boxes) that sells the remotes
for half that price ($15). I bought two, one from Cambridge surplus
and one from this other shop. The one from Cambridge was a bit
defective, the down arrow doesn't work nearly as smoothly as it does
on the less expensive one (same model).

In another room we have a Zoomtak T8H attached to a small TV. The T8H
comes with KODI and there's a "loader" that lets you load those pirate
plugins, but I found it pretty aweful, and it rewrites the KODI menus
so you legitimate network served content is hidden (the main purpose
of the box for us). It comes with a stock clean version of KODI that
works very well. Although the unit has wireless we have gigabit
running through the apartment. Since some of the media stored on our
living room KODI server is Blu-ray quality file sizes are huge. On my
A8-5600K CPU it still takes about 30-45 minutes to rip a Blu-ray
(MakeMKV). The file-size of a Blu-ray runs anywhere from 16GB to 45GB.
I could compress them with Handbrake, but I found it adds a lot more
to the time. I haven't played much with the MakeMKV settings yet
because I haven't had a need to, but I probably will soon since those
Blu-rays tend to fill space quick.

As an example: our KODI server used to have 3 drives, 2 x 3TB and 1 x
2TB (they're now my backup). One of the 3TB drives was 98% full with
around 75 Blu-rays. The 2TB drive had about 700 DVDs and was just a
smidgen over half full.

Eventually I plan on adding a digital TV tuner to the server and a
second 8TB drive (for RAID 1). KODI can interface with MythTV and a
few other open source PVR programs. Not so sure how great the over the
air channels would be, but we're pretty high up (12th floor) so we
might have some luck.

A word of caution if you plan on buying a large drive: the 8TB drive I
bought only has 4 mounting holes (as opposed to 6 on most smaller
capacity drives). The drive is a bit more solid throughout. This posed
a problem mounting it in our case (Corsair SPEC-01), I needed to file
off the middle plastic bits on the mounting rail to mount the drive.

We also use the Zoomtak T8H to watch Netflix. You can add other
Android add-ons for watching channels like Fox sports legitimately,
but most of the content isn't anything you can't get via a web site.

Charles McColm
Blog: http://www.charlesmccolm.com/
Twitter/Identica/Google+: @chaslinux