[kwlug-disc] OT: Online TV services?

Colin Mackay zixiekat at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 08:04:10 EDT 2017

Aside from what's already been mentioned, you can also get CBC programs on
the CBC app for Android/iOS, HGTV canada site has a lot of their shows
ready for you to stream, but you tend to need to watch them on a computer
that supports Flash, IIRC.

Kodi's scraping addons, which I've used quite a lot in the past, are
unreliable at best.  They're generally maintained by only one or two
coders, in their spare time, and have to constantly update the plugin.
Most coders tend to get sick of it all and stop updating, then the project
changes hands... rinse, repeat.

You should consider an antenna.  Depending on your location, you can get
digital TV broadcasts in 1080i.  I live out in New Hamburg, and I get:

CTV (Baden Tower)
CTV2 (London Tower)
TVO (Paris Tower)
Global (Paris Tower)
CityTV (Woodstock Tower)

Pretty much any modern TV can get DTV broadcasts and if you live on the
east side of KW, you might even get CBC, or other programming from Toronto
area.  Check out http://www.tvfool.com; use their Online Maps option and
you can see what's available to you.  Course, this might mean putting a TV
antenna up.

Personally I use an HDHomeRUN tuner and one of those round, saucer shaped
antennas (http://dennysantennaservice.com/image/18483796.gif), along with
MythTV to record everything.  I then use Kodi on a plain old Android box
(not one of those pirate boxes) to interface with MythTV.  This means you'd
need a dedicated Linux box running MythTV all the time, however.

It's not easy to get all the free programming in one location... Perhaps
once broadcasters / TV execs start to realize this, things will change.
Pay one low price for access to everything, but then again, since
Bell/Rogers owns TV content, TV stations and the distribution network, I
doubt this will happen anytime soon.