[kwlug-disc] 400+ tabs ... TabGroups? [Was: Re: Firefox 54 with multi-process?]

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Jun 15 22:46:02 EDT 2017

You think 400+ is a lot? That is not my record! My record is 1,488 (yes,
one thousand four hundred and eighty eight).

Manage them? I don't manage them. It is all about procrastination, when
they get too many, I book mark the window (right click, then select
Bookmark All Tabs), or just close many tabs that have been open for months
and unread.

It used to be I would close them when the browser gets too slow, but you
pointed out Auto Unload Tab, and it has been great. The only tabs that are
open all the time are the pinned ones, and the ones that have focus (they
don't get auto-unloaded). Keeps memory and CPU usage to an acceptable
level.

I also have Session Manager and it is configured to save windows and tabs
every 3 or 4 hours, and that allows me to revert to anything in the past if
the need arises.

I have been hearing about PaleMoon for a couple of years, but every time I
check it, it seems to be Windows only. Either that, or I have not been able
to locate a Debian repository for it.

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 6:16 PM, B. S. <bs27975 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > (yes, I know, I know)
>
> :-)
>
> > even with 400+ tabs
>
> How DO you manage them?
>
> Some long time ago I installed TabGroups Manager, currently
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tabgroups-manager-revived
> , across multiple versions and developers, and been sufficiently happy.
> Basically it associates sets of tabs with a grouping tab in a second tab
> bar. e.g. One of mine is 'weather', along the bottom, just above the
> status bar. Tab addons have been problematic over time, multi-row tab
> bar addons keep getting deprecated. Looks like I'm using Tab Mix Plus at
> the moment. [Not sure if I found out about TabGroups Manager from you -
> if not, perhaps useful.]
>
> I do tend to use PaleMoon, https://www.palemoon.org/ , more than Firefox
> these days. Looks like I'm using Tab Utilities over there.
>
> I've also started using multiple browser windows, often on different
> desktops based on that desktop's workspace. e.g. 3 = general, 4 (now 6)
> = development. [It's a little annoying after a logout to come back to 20
> different Chrome windows opening on the same desktop - but hey, at least
> they came back at all.]
>
> > Auto Unload Tab
>
> Thank you for that. I've not found anything reliable for this. A
> non-Chrome equivalent to 'The Great Suspender', that is.
>

> On 06/15/2017 03:21 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> > The new version of Firefox is available today for my laptop. This is
> > version 54, which has the multi-process thing (Electrolysis) enabled by
> > default for everyone.
> >
> > https://medium.com/mozilla-tech/the-search-for-the-
> goldilocks-browser-and-why-firefox-may-be-just-right-for-you-1f520506aa35
> >
> > My current version is 53.0.3 (Xubuntu 16.04), and it works well, with
> Auto
> > Unload Tab, even with 400+ tabs (yes, I know, I know).
> >
> > Anyone tried the new 54 version? Any observations, positive or negative?

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.
Fast Reliable Drupal
wrong." -- H.L. Mencken