[kwlug-disc] KDE IDE's [Was: Python 2 vs Python 3]

B.S. bs27975.2 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 20:01:06 EDT 2017

> I've looked at Eclipse in the past. I'd prefer to avoid it.  Cross
> platform isn't terribly important to me, at this point.

Until it is. Witness Khalid, 15 years in. You will move off KDE ... some
day, for some reason. :-)

Konqueror is deprecated in favour of Dolphin, and for some time now
Konqueror actually uses Dolphin internally.  Occasionally I use Dolphin
(usually inadvertently), and have an internal note to myself to try to
use it more again - as it's being maintained while Konqueror is not
(last time I looked). Often I go to do something in Dolphin, realize a
feature's not there, then switch. Tabbed file browsing (never go back)
comes to mind, or image preview, but I don't recall off the top of my
head what's actually missing that makes me switch.

> I hear ya.  Akonadi was not something I ever wanted, and Plasma's flat
> design drives me nuts. But they're all doing flat these days. (grumble)

Agreed (flat), and I switch away ASAP. Monitors are -colour!-, systems
have -keyboards-! As my eyes age it becomes harder and harder to discern
flat styles. It's a computer, a tool, to produce something ... not
'admire' the 'graphics'. It's a clock / wi-fi / usb / widget for gosh
sakes ... a solved problem ... it wasn't broken, it didn't need fixing.

> But maybe I should look at Eclipse again.  I'm afraid I'll spend more
> time on the IDE than on dev work though.

I hear you, and I take your point - it's irritating to have to learn a
new way / look for something one's been productive with for a long time.
Checking out the ant editor was an example of that, for me, from which I
returned to kwrite not long after. There's something to be said for the
web tools, though, especially for later languages, as the young 'uns add
more and more goodness into things. (And packaging / distribution /
development moves further and further from apt-get.)

However, if you're moving into something new (to you), like an IDE,
you're only going to transit the learning curve once - you'll be able to
repeatedly leverage it. (Unlike kdevelop, which AFAICT is a dead
environment. A feature you see missing, e.g. something in kwrite/kate
but not kdevelop, isn't ever likely to get filled.) Unlike something,
say, more current supporting languages you might end up using some day.

[I believe I pondered this same question myself not long ago, in a Java
context, I think, but ended up sidetracking away from the
considerations. It's Andrew's fault, of course, but I think this was
with Jekyll, html, jscript, and appreciating running the Jekyll server
in a kdevelop tab, with multiple sources and headers in other tabs.]

The other thing that intruded on that ride at the time, IIRC, was the
many more distribution / packaging models present now, and the IDE
integrations of same. Git and Ruby and Gems comes to mind, but it
escapes me at the moment as to how such correlated to IDE. (Probably
doesn't, but 'development environment', and therefore IDE, was part and
parcel of what I was in the middle of at the time.)