[kwlug-disc] Subtitles and Metadata

B. S. bs27975 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 19:19:17 EST 2017

On 01/02/2017 06:32 PM, CrankyOldBugger wrote:
> ... I spend a good chunk of my holidays going through my collection,
> figuring out which movies were lacking integrated subtitles, then
> downloading the right .srt and using HandBrake to encode the subtitles into
> the .mkv file ...

vlc has the same issue. (Although it's supposed to have some wildcard
smarts for picking up alternate .srt filenames.)

Solution has always seemed to be to rename the .srt to match the video
file. e.g. Click once on video file, F2 to edit name, Ctrl-C to capture
it (F2 automatically selecting the entire name, except the dot and
extension), Esc, up/down arrow to .srt file, F2 to edit name, Ctrl-V to
paste the captured text, Enter to effect the change. Perhaps this rename
makes your Sony happy, too.

vlc has also seemed to be one of the only players able to play the other
embedded subtitle stream (cc/txt vs embedded video subtitle overlays?).
I'm guessing this is true of your Sony as well, and why you have to do
your HB backflips.

It's exactly these issues that keeps me with a computer hooked up to the
TV, not just an Android STB - flexibility to change players, and so on.

YMMV. Good luck with your efforts, it's definitely a PITA!