[kwlug-disc] Kubuntu 16.04 Questions

Chris Craig kwlug.org at ciotog.net
Tue Feb 28 07:55:14 EST 2017

On 28 February 2017 at 00:17, Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:
> Anyone using Kubuntu/KDE?

I use KDE on Debian, which should be similar enough.

> - I am used to having a weather icon in the system tray (or a widget on the
> desktop). The package plasma-widget-weatherforecast seems to be exactly what
> I am looking for. However, after I install it, I don't find a widget with
> weather in it. How do you I make the widget available?

I just enabled the weather in my tray by:
 - Right-click on the right side of the tray (where for me is the
little orange triangle that shows hidden items)
 - Choose "System Tray Settings"
 - Click "Unlock Widgets" if it presents the option
 - "Weather Forecast" should be the last entry
Then you have to configure it.

Note that in Debian there doesn't seem to be a
"plasma-widget-weatherforecast" package available.

> - On 14.04 I had a widget that allowed pasting text to pastebin (and
> alternate services) and images to imgur (and alternate services). These made
> sharing snippets and screen shots ..etc. a breeze. This is no where to be
> found on 16.04.

I don't know anything about that, but the "Paste" item in the system
tray for KDE has the option to add macros which includes "Execute
Command And Get Ouput", I imagine this could be combined with
pastebinit to do what you want.

> - When I log out and then restart, most windows that were open are
> recreated. One exception is Konsole, which insists on starting in pager
> desktop 1, despite being on desktop 2 when I logged out. I temporarily
> switched back to Yakuake, but it refuses to start 'screen', with an error:
>
> var/run/screen/S-myusername/3125.pts-0.mymachine: No such file or directory

I have a similar problem with Kodi, it insists on
opening/un-minimizing on the secondary display even though we always
pull it over to the primary.

As for the terminal emulator I seem to always use xterm. I just tried
installing yakuake and running screen, no problems for me. Maybe
something in your .screenrc is the problem?