[kwlug-disc] Kubuntu 16.04 Questions

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Feb 28 00:17:46 EST 2017

I finally upgraded from Kubuntu 14.04 to 16.04. (Yes, I am like that, leave
it to mature a bit)

I noticed that Firefox is much snappier than before. Good ...

However, they have removed a lot of stuff, and went to the annoying forced
minimalism. Therefore, I had to rebuilt my desktop to get it to be similar
to what I am used to.

A few things that are nagging me:

- I am used to having a weather icon in the system tray (or a widget on the
desktop). The package plasma-widget-weatherforecast seems to be exactly
what I am looking for. However, after I install it, I don't find a widget
with weather in it. How do you I make the widget available?

- On 14.04 I had a widget that allowed pasting text to pastebin (and
alternate services) and images to imgur (and alternate services). These
made sharing snippets and screen shots ..etc. a breeze. This is no where to
be found on 16.04.

- When I log out and then restart, most windows that were open are
recreated. One exception is Konsole, which insists on starting in pager
desktop 1, despite being on desktop 2 when I logged out. I temporarily
switched back to Yakuake, but it refuses to start 'screen', with an error:

var/run/screen/S-myusername/3125.pts-0.mymachine: No such file or directory

Anyone using Kubuntu/KDE?

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.