[kwlug-disc] Linux on the Desktop

B. S. bs27975 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 22:48:05 EST 2017

 > I know Linux premise is that you have options, but on the application
 > installation front (or package management), I think that it would go
 > a long way to standardize on one.

It's long been present - apt-get

One of the things about Linux is it just takes a whack of complexity of
proprietary systems off the table - licensing (well, it's free, so no
need to maintain AAA systems), and security (if it ain't vulnerable in
the first place, it doesn't need to be secured). Those are gross
overstatements, but essentially true.

I can only imagine the hours and energy **I haven't** expended for many
years now on licensing, security, and software. So much so that I do
sometimes wonder why proprietary system users inflict it upon
themselves. Between the cost of the proprietary purchases and the
resource expenditure necessary just to tread water ...

(Debian) packages / repositories do the same - one-stop shopping for
software and installation. Just a whack of complexity taken off the
table. Again, an over-simplification, but essentially true.

The same is (apparently) not true for Fedora - there was a thread here
some years back that startled me. The topic of the thread was someone
new to Debian, being a long time Fedora user, wanting to know how the
heck one installed software on Debian out of band. Apparently it's
normal on Fedora to install software willy nilly, to me no different
than running setup.exe on any ol' package downloaded from any ol' weird
source. While to me the whole point of packages and repositories is to
take the whole risk and complexity of the 'traditional' setup.exe dice
roll off the table.

I take your point, just install Debian on an SSD and boot the disk you
need at that moment. For that matter, you can vm boot the other disk
within Linux when you need to.

For SSD particulars, just peek at the btrfs pages on them and get on
with your day.
https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/FAQ#Is_Btrfs_optimized_for_SSD.3F