[kwlug-disc] Linux on the Desktop

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Feb 22 19:35:19 EST 2017

It all depends on your particular situation. If you rely on applications
that are Windows only, then making Linux your main desktop will not be
feasible. If you use 'regular' applications that have counterparts in the
Linux world, then you should be OK. For example, browsing, word processing,
spreadsheets, media streaming, ...etc. All that should work.

For me, I have been using Linux exclusively for around 12 years or so. For
the last 10 years, I don't even have a Windows partition, and have not used
Windows at all.

My distro of choice is Kubuntu, that is KDE under Ubuntu. Depending on your
needs, you may even use Xubuntu, or Lubuntu and achieve the same end result
with overall less RAM and CPU.

Debian, Ubuntu and their derivatives are better in my view because of the
dependency management that is provided by the .deb package format and
preconfigured repositories with a vast array of software available for you
to install.

On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 4:01 PM, Nelson F. <nelsonjfr at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there.
>
> Was just reading email bellow about going cold turkey with Linux on the
> Desktop and I was wondering what everyone experience is.
>
> I tried a few distributions in the 'live' modality (no install): Ubuntu,
> Debian, Fedora, Elementary, Manjaro, Mint & Artegos.
>

> In most I found issues (screen suddenly froze, mouse did not respond).
>

> Fedora and Debian seemed to be the more stable ones.
>

> Any suggestions? Experiences?
>
> Thanks

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.