[kwlug-disc] So I was auditing my accounts online and thought of something.

Keefer Rourke mail at krourke.org
Sat Dec 16 22:47:55 EST 2017

What you're describing sounds a lot like a catch-all or wildcard email address. You can set this up easily if you own a domain with MX records and use a host such as Runbox for example (https://runbox.com). They at least have some help docs and tutorials [1].

How would this be different exactly? You could for instance use a vanity domain that isn't directly identifiable to you (set up whois guard or whatever) and just specify whatever string you want on the local part of the email address.

So if you own the imaginary domain foobar.bazz, then facecreep at foobar.bazz, tweeter at foobar.bazz, grubleminus at foobar.bazz, etc can specified as your account details, and all incoming mail to those addresses is "caught" by your wildcard address. Of course this might invite unwanted spam, SpamAssassin is usually good enough, and a good mail host will let you configure filters.

[1] https://help.runbox.com/catch-all/

- Keefer, who hopes this helps in place of such a yet-to-exist mail-service