[kwlug-disc] Scraping Facebook

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Dec 5 16:30:27 EST 2017

Spot on Darcy!

I have done scraping in cases where a web site is updated regularly, but
provide no email alerts. For example in the old days when The Record had
classified ads (in the pre-Kijiji era), I used to search them for certain
keywords that way.

All of what you said is true.

In addition to that, after the cat and mouse because of HTML redesign (it
happens quite regularly), and before the law suits, there is another step:
they detect that you are effectively a 'bot' and block you.

So, all in all, scraping is not a sustainable solution.