[kwlug-disc] Scraping Facebook

Darcy Casselman dscassel at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 16:21:59 EST 2017

"Scraping" usually refers to getting data out of the HTML UI, not
necessarily an API. It would be great if Facebook provided a nice API, or
an RSS feed, but it doesn't and it won't.

Scraping HTML is a pain in the as and incredibly fragile, but you can do
it. It does get harder when most pages these days are rendered by
Javascript, and not simply handed to you buy an HTTP request. But if you've
got the time and persistence, you could emulate a browser, run all the
Javascript and then scrape the resulting HTML to get your data.

And then you begin the cat and mouse game of fixing your script every time
Facebook changes their pages/scripts to prevent you from doing this. But
again, if you have the time and persistence, you can do this.

Then you need to have the cash and lawyers for the inevitable lawsuits.
Cory Doctorow works with the EFF and they are made of lawyers.  So I think
by suggesting this, he's offering an EFF partnership to help you out when
the lawsuits start.  This is the actual end goal, I believe: to get a court
settlement that explicitly makes this sort of activity legal. It's a bit of
a long shot, and the courts haven't really been going in this direction,
but I agree it would be nice if they did.

Darcy.