[kwlug-disc] Looking for resources to better understand GPG.

Mark Steffen rmarksteffen at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 23:29:44 EDT 2017

With regards to key management you could get a USB HSM, to keep your keys
backed up buy two.  Nitrokey HSM will do RSA keys, Yubikey HSM will only do
symmetrical encryption keys; I know the Nitrokey works very well with
Linux, I don't own a Yubikey.  I think there may be a way to load your
private keys into your computer's TPM module though I'm not 100% sure about
that.

I do have PGP installed, but I sign/encrypt email when necessary using an
S/MIME certificate.  S/MIME leverages the pre-existing public PKI
infrastructure, so I think it works better "out of the box" than PGP and is
a fairly universally accepted standard, though I'm sure there is a place
for both.

WhatsApp is great, but I can't see it having a long life in many
jurisdictions; I think they'll quietly settle for a back door arrangement
with GCHQ and others soon.  Also check out Signal.

*Mark Steffen*
Office Direct: +1.226.476.1240 | Mobile/WhatsApp/Signal: +1.226.600.0464
*"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -Abraham Lincoln*