[kwlug-disc] Looking for resources to better understand GPG.

Ronald Barnes ron at ronaldbarnes.ca
Tue Aug 15 22:12:25 EDT 2017

stuart at lowlevel.ca wrote on 2017-08-14 06:52 PM:

> I've always found it painful and difficult to use/integrate... and if I
> mention it to regular people they stop talking to me. Would be
> interesting to see where things are at...

My biggest issue with it is key management.

Lose that precious key, and not only can interlopers not read your
email, but you can't either.

And, of course, there's the network effect, whereby without enough
people using it, there's not much incentive to use it, which means no
one uses it, ad infinitum.

I don't think we'll ever have properly encrypted email.

And, strangely (to me), I was using WhatsApp last week, and it has e2e
(end-to-end) encryption on, by default.

Who'd have thunk it - a proprietary solution controlled by Facebook -
gives everyone what we've longed for all these years.

r b