[kwlug-disc] Strange poweron problem

Jeff Smith crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 17:38:03 EDT 2016

Sorry I haven't responded to this in a while, but I think I found the culprit:  a USB 3 hub.  I purchased some USB hubs off of Amazon a few months ago, and I've noticed that all of them are showing signs of degradation already.  In the case of the one attached to this particular Ubuntu box, I swapped it right out and it the computer seems to be booting from the power-off state without any problems now.

I can't tell you what brand these USB hubs are, as they are no-name generic, but they are the ones with power switches for each port, and the USB cables are inserted on the very top of the hub.  I've had failures with three of these now.  I thought the individual power switches were a nice feature, but the rest of the hub is crap.

Cranky