[kwlug-disc] How relevant/useful is LinkedIn, e.g. kwlug, K-W, Linux, FOSS, news, groups, ???

Andrew Sullivan Cant acant at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Sep 5 20:31:33 EDT 2016

Linkedin is also a silo, so like any other silo you are giving away a
good bit of control.

It would be interesting to more regularly syndicate meeting
announcements and membership to LinkedIn. And that topic is a good
IndieWeb theme which I will probably talk more about next Monday.
POSSE is the IndieWeb label that is used for this idea
"Publish (on your) Own Site, Syndicate Elsewhere"
https://indieweb.org/POSSE

> Is there any point to a LinkedIn KWLUG Group? I created / maintain
> the g+
> kwlug group, but it has been substantially a non-starter. (Which is
> OK.
> There seems some little, and sufficient, value in having it there at
> all, so
> ... well enough.) Any use of a KWLUG LinkedIn Group?

As Bob pointed out the group already exists. I think it is useful for
the Linkedin networking kind of thing, but not worth putting time into
maintaining. I think of it as a way for people to find there way to
kwlug.org through their connections.

> e.g. Some people I care about and long lost track of I've found -
> being out of sight and out of mind and not having a mechanism to
> collect such, this aspect had never occurred to me. My bad, I
> suppose.

This is really the only part of Linked in that I have found personally
useful. But it makes me slightly cranky that I am putting these
connections in Linkedin primarily.

Using the "XHTML Friends Network" (XFN) formatting and then POSSEing to
Linkedin, and other networks, seems interesting. You would link to a
contact and indicate a relationship, and if that contact wanted to
confirm they would link back to you.
* https://indieweb.org/xfn
* http://microformats.org/wiki/xfn-brainstorming

These also seems like some PGP signing would be useful here to validate
there relationship claims, and counter-claims.
And since you've got everyone's PGP keys maybe encrypting so that only
people you already have relationships with can see all the details? Maybe.

Alright, that was a long vague product requirement.
Lazy web make it so. :)

Andrew