[kwlug-disc] How relevant/useful is LinkedIn, e.g. kwlug, K-W, Linux, FOSS, news, groups, ???

B.S. bs27975.2 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 19:37:08 EDT 2016

I have just started exploring LinkedIn. (As some of you have no doubt
noticed / send me a connect if you're so inclined).

I am mindful and leery of it given MS' purchase of it, but it seemed
worth a gander. If I should be more/less concerned about MS here, pipe up.

I am astonished at how much is there, never having much thought about it
- and wanting nothing to do with Facebook (== social networking).
Spending all day in front of a computer hasn't inclined me towards
wanting to spend even more time in front of one.

e.g. Some people I care about and long lost track of I've found - being
out of sight and out of mind and not having a mechanism to collect such,
this aspect had never occurred to me. My bad, I suppose.

e.g. Business news - TV has had less and less useful content, especially
surrounding business and economic news that will impact me in some way
(not being a 'trader'), 'soon'. Is following a local company a
substitute? [TV being non-interactive, sit back and let it wash over you
- generally no scrolling, clicking, or otherwise.]

e.g. Groups - is this the new mailing list / RSS / news feed / newsgroup
/ NNTP?

- Bob has noted in the past various FOSS / 'twitter' alternatives /
aggregators, is there such for LinkedIn?

Is there any point to a LinkedIn KWLUG Group? I created / maintain the
g+ kwlug group, but it has been substantially a non-starter. (Which is
OK. There seems some little, and sufficient, value in having it there at
all, so ... well enough.) Any use of a KWLUG LinkedIn Group?