[kwlug-disc] What do people dis/like for things like github.com these days?

Hubert Chathi hubert at uhoreg.ca
Sun Oct 23 22:56:03 EDT 2016

On Sun, 23 Oct 2016 19:39:01 -0400, Keefer Rourke <keefer.rourke at gmail.com> said:

> On October 23, 2016 10:23:11 AM EDT, Hubert Chathi <hubert at uhoreg.ca> wrote:
>> I also dislike how people are now treating their README as a project
>> homepage due to the way Github is structured, and not many people are
>> giving their projects a proper homepage.

> I like finding out a lot from the README, it saves me from having to
> go to several different websites, when I can find the information I
> want with the project. Maybe I'm weird? Nothing says you can't have
> both a project homepage and an extensive README.

I like a good README too, but the thing that I don't like is people
treating the README like a home page.  For example, the continuous
integration status images do not belong in a README, since it's likely
that (a couple days after you check the sources out) the continuous
integration status image that's linked to in the README (which usually
just points to the latest CI status) does not correspond to the
continuous integration status for the source code that you've checked
out, since the source code is no longer the latest.

And the way some people add screenshots is to dump screenshots into the
git repository, where they don't really belong.

I know that "nothing says you can't have both a project homepage and an
extensive README", and there are some projects that do it right.  But
due to the way GitHub is structured, it encourages people to do these
things.  Before GitHub came along, it was very uncommon (as in I can't
think of any cases where it happened) for people to dump screenshots
into their source code repository, or link to a status image for their
CI.