[kwlug-disc] What do people dis/like for things like github.com these days?

B.S. bs27975.2 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 20:23:17 EDT 2016

Thanks for the heads up on gogs - had never heard of it.
(Not looking at self-hosting at the moment. Some day, probably.)

 > I like finding out a lot from the README

Agreed. (But ...)

 >> I also dislike how people are now treating their README as a
 >> project homepage due to the way Github is structured, and not many
 >> people are giving their projects a proper homepage.
 >
 > I like finding out a lot from the README ... Nothing says you can't
 > have both a project homepage and an extensive README.

I don't believe that's what he meant / certainly isn't how I read it / I
agree with his comment.

READMEs are good. But gitlab has bastardized it into an almost automatic
(web) homepage - which once one realizes it is there is really useful
and convenient (for both writer and reader). Sadly, at the same time, it
defaults to the web interpretation, and suddenly the page gets wikified
in a way unintended. Suddenly you have headings and boldings and other
text candy that you never intended when you dropped that text note to
yourself in your text editor.

It's really easy to fix, tick a box to not interpret it as wiki|html,
should one notice the setting tickbox, but it's not the default. Which,
as he essentially points out, speaks more about the git user than
anything else.

e.g. A few minutes more work / reading and it can be made / dropped into
to project level (folder, essentially), and a more general front page
made. Even if only to say - 'these are here', and those go to the
project, which defaults to the readme. (But please untick the wiki
interpretation!)

That many time those few extra minutes aren't spent ...
(It's YOUR public persona people ... thanks for <whatever> 'code', but
do you REALLY want to come across as so lazy and oblivious?)