[kwlug-disc] What do people dis/like for things like github.com these days?

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Sun Oct 23 02:19:59 EDT 2016

On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 07:40:50PM -0400, B.S. wrote:
>Seems to me when things like github.com have come up in the list,
>occasionally there has been a note of dislike or unhappiness with them
>- mostly on a philosophical level? (Some level of non-freedom?
>Proprietary-ness?) The specifics escape me at the moment.
>
>Anyone with any particular likes or dislikes for such these days?
>(Not looking to start a flamewar - I have no opinions.)
>
>At the moment I'm only thinking about individual files or scripts, not
>packaging or building - although that's an interesting topic too. For
>that sourceforge immediately comes to mind - not for its quality, or
>lack thereof, but because its been noteworthy as having various issues
>over the years.
>
>Mind you, I suppose one appreciates additional facilities like
>documentation repositories, wiki's, issue tracking, and the like, as
>they both seem to - be it for such standalone files, or more. Tracking
>number of views, I suppose, would be a minimum.

I'm using (and very happy with) self-hosted gitlab. Though I don't have
any public projects.

If I had anything that needed to be public, I'd probably configure my
gitlab repositories to auto-push to github.

Also, sourceforge is under new ownership. Apparently the shady activity
has been left in the past.

--
Chris Irwin

email:   chris at chrisirwin.ca