[kwlug-disc] What do people dis/like for things like github.com these days?

B.S. bs27975.2 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 19:40:50 EDT 2016

Seems to me when things like github.com have come up in the list,
occasionally there has been a note of dislike or unhappiness with them -
mostly on a philosophical level? (Some level of non-freedom?
Proprietary-ness?) The specifics escape me at the moment.

Anyone with any particular likes or dislikes for such these days?
(Not looking to start a flamewar - I have no opinions.)

At the moment I'm only thinking about individual files or scripts, not
packaging or building - although that's an interesting topic too. For
that sourceforge immediately comes to mind - not for its quality, or
lack thereof, but because its been noteworthy as having various issues
over the years.

Mind you, I suppose one appreciates additional facilities like
documentation repositories, wiki's, issue tracking, and the like, as
they both seem to - be it for such standalone files, or more. Tracking
number of views, I suppose, would be a minimum.