[kwlug-disc] odrive?

B. S. bs27975 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 10:37:48 EDT 2016

A server is not in the cards - there are no 'premises' (at which to
place a server) here. And hosting a local server here at home would
create a dependency we're trying to avoid. Server down == <bad situation>.

I had thought to suggest OwnCloud - thanks for noting Nextcloud exists.

 > Check out https://github.com/astrada/google-drive-ocamlfuse
 >
 > It mounts a Google Drive on Linux with the FUSER tools, but it's not a
 > sync client.

Have just come across that - not yet pursued it. For me (/ Linux users)
that may well be sufficient - FUSE may be slow, but by definition we're
going over the net here, so I expect more than fast enough. There is no
real requirement for local storage - bearing in mind users happen and
files will be inadvertently deleted.

Being mounted, much like an SMB share, would allow me to 'locally' rsync
a copy, thus providing backups / oops (file deletion) recovery steps.
Including a direct copy back to that mount (== cloud).

The package claims multi-gdrive account access, but the page I saw
didn't show how to do it. (And haven't had a chance yet myself to play
with it.)

If there are any caveats or gotchas here, please shout out.

Same if someone finds an equivalent to odrive. I have been playing with
it - it is not robust, at least on Linux. Even on Windows the expected
is not happening - comparing a local 'real' dropbox or gdrive directory
against an odrive replica reveals many file differences.