[kwlug-disc] odrive?

B.S. bs27975.2 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 16:55:40 EDT 2016

On 10/03/2016 04:27 PM, Andrew Kohlsmith (mailing lists account) wrote:
>> On Oct 3, 2016, at 3:12 PM, Paul Nijjar via kwlug-disc
>> <kwlug-disc at kwlug.org> wrote: I have used Syncthing a little. I
>> could not get it working reliably for my needs, but the development
>> community is fantastic and the product is under active
>> development.
>
> I’ve found that running syncthing-inotify really helps.
>
>> Keep in mind that synchronization is not backup. It will help
>> against hard drive failure, but not against accidental deletion.
>
> True, but one of the syncthing modes a node can be in is to keep ’n’
> versions of each sync’d document. Still not a backup, but definitely
> helps.

The intent is if there is ever a coordinator change to be able to just
hand over the keys to the cloud account. This is cross-platform
(Window's users primarily) and it is a point to keep the number of
volunteers upon which a dependency is present to a minimum. (Let alone
consuming their bandwidth as well.)

The files are not public in most cases.

User error ('accidental' file deletion) was my first and overriding
concern. My first thought was to replicate into the dropbox (or
whatever) shared folder nightly. Thinking about it, the reverse seems
better. (Something happens to the job, the dropbox replicated files will
still always be current.) If others, like myself, also replicate out of
cloud, perhaps at different dates, accidentally deleted files could be
present there in a pinch. And I burp nightly backups for 3 days for
myself, for that matter.

OTOH - dropbox is supposed to have file versioning, and this seems to be
a feature discriminator for cloud services.

Good to know that syncthing can do versions too, thanks Andrew.

Always relied upon Karen's replicator in the past (Win 10 user needs
something obvious to say something wrong with job) [so robocopy or other
background scripting facility isn't in the solution domain, let alone
the perpetual maintenance time consumption]. Have used filesync or
freefilesync for non-batch happily enough. Have come across something
called Cobian Backup as a potential Win 10 capable Karen's replacement,
but don't know anything about it yet.

Encryption has been in the back of my mind too, but no cross-platform
'transparent to even the "dumbest" user' solution has crossed my
eyeline. e.g. Turn the keys over to the new coordinator ... and I'd have
to get involved again to provide a decryption mechanism.