[kwlug-disc] odrive?

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Mon Oct 3 15:12:23 EDT 2016

I have used Syncthing a little. I could not get it working reliably
for my needs, but the development community is fantastic and the
product is under active development.

Keep in mind that synchronization is not backup. It will help against
hard drive failure, but not against accidental deletion.

As for free cloud file storage, if the materials are public and can be
CC licensed, then we use archive.org . If you can deal with its rough
edges, then it is surprisingly generous. I do not know that I trust it
to exist forever, but I expect it to exist longer than some of the
other cloud platforms we currently depend on. It does not really solve
your problems of cross-platform dropbox-like services, but for
multimedia files it seems to work well.

Having said that, this odrive thing looks pretty promising. I am
obligated to mention git-annex-assistant as another player in this
space (which similarly supports a bunch of backends) but odrive might
be better.

- Paul

On Mon, Oct 03, 2016 at 09:30:45AM -0400, Hubert Chathi wrote:
> Have you taken a look at Syncthing https://syncthing.net/ ?  It's open
> source, and isn't limited by an cloud storage limits.  On the other
> hand, since it doesn't use cloud storage, it would be limited by your
> own disk space.
>
> (I haven't personally used it, but I've heard it recommended by several
> people.)
>
> On Mon, 3 Oct 2016 09:00:01 -0400, "B.S." <bs27975.2 at gmail.com> said:
>
> > I've come across a beastie called 'odrive' https://www.odrive.com/ If
> > I'm reading correctly, it will permit one to connect to many cloud
> > services, even multiple accounts per service (e.g. Dropbox, google
> > drive), even for services that aren't Linux aware. e.g. OneDrive (MS),
> > gdrive (Google).
>
> > http://blog.odrive.com/blog/2016/6/14/avenging-the-nerds
>
> > Did I partake of that special kool aid when I wasn't looking?
>
> > Anyone have any comments or experience?
>
> > [Use case: At kwootcfri (K-W Out Of The Cold, Friday's @ First) there
> > is a fair bit of organizational files such as volunteer information,
> > schedule, LibreOffice files, and so on, and some concern that should
> > the coordinator's laptop die unexpectedly things won't run as smoothly
> > as one might wish. Dropbox (Linux compatible, shared folders, etc.) or
> > Google Drive (no Linux client, but shared folders, etc.) will likely
> > suffice. However, there are a number of larger files, such as video of
> > the training seminar, that would blow the available free limits. So
> > I'm trying to think of / find a cross-platform free alternate service
> > (suggestions?), and came across odrive.]

Electoral reform submission deadline: Oct 7
http://canada.ca/democracy to make a submission.