[kwlug-disc] Secure IM news

locklin.jason at gmail.com locklin.jason at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 11:33:37 EST 2016

On Sun, 27 Nov 2016 20:39:56 +0000
Chamunks <chamunks at gmail.com> wrote:

> Still sounds really nice but doesn't address the main issue that no one
> will want to install a battery drain.  Which is the reason they went with a
> push architecture.

Actually, both Chatsecure and Matrix/Riot run okay without push
infrastructure. If you install Riot from F-droid, it polls on pre-defined
intervals, while the Google play version uses push. The chatsecure guys
have also pioneered a lot of optimizations for making polling much easier on
batteries. Obviously, push systems still work better.

In the end, that’s why I mention that p2p is a special case of federation.
There are already people who run a XMPP or Matrix server for exactly one
account on the local machine (and so are effectively operating p2p),
while (most) others rely on shared servers.
Federation allows p2p where the hardware is adequate, while not forcing
it on those with fluid network connections and weak batteries. Hopefully,
those problems will be "solved" at some point in the future, and any
good federated system will be future-proofed for going fully p2p.

locklin.jason at gmail.com <locklin.jason at gmail.com>